CVM-Postdoctoral Association Travel Awards
There will be two deadlines for travel award funding each fiscal
year. There are two separate deadlines in order to make it easier
for members to receive their funding in a timely manner with
respect to their travel dates.
- Deadline for the Fall Semester Travel Award application is
This application period is for students traveling during the Fall
(2019) and early Spring (2020) semesters (we recommend traveling
between October 2019 to February 2020).
-Deadline for the Spring Semester Travel Award application is
March 1, 2019 at
5:00pm. This application period is for students
traveling during the Spring and Summer (2019) semesters (we
recommend traveling between March 2019 to September 2019)
-Late applications will not be accepted. If you have any
questions, please contact a PDA officer CVMPostDoc@cvm.tamu.edu.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Must be a postdoc at CVM and a member of the PDA at the time of
- Must be an employee of Texas A&M University.
- The meeting or conference must be professional in nature and of
scientific importance in the student's field of study.
- The member must be the first and presenting author.
- An abstract and evidence of its acceptance is required.
If acceptance has not been received at the time of submission, you
can still submit an application with evidence that your abstract
has been submitted for consideration. However, you will be
required to show proof of acceptance before funds will be released
- The individual must be presenting a poster or platform
presentation of their primary research or clinical case
- A member is limited to one travel award per fiscal year
(September 1-August 31).
- If you are applying for a GSA travel award, we ask that you
do NOT apply for a PDA travel award and vice versa.
The PDA will not review applications that are submitted to both
- Participation in PDA activities is required:
Postdocs who attend PDA meetings and who participate
in PDA events receive first priority for travel awards. There will
be sign-in sheets to record the names of participants in meeting
and PDA events. Additional sign-up sheets will be kept during the
meetings soliciting ideas for future meetings and your
participation in future PDA activities like vendor shows, social
events, open house, and research symposium. To be considered for a
travel award you must attend 75% of the PDA meeting in the semester
that you apply for a travel award and participate in at least 1 PDA
related event (e.g., set up or break down a vendor show, help at
open house, etc.).
- The application must be submitted prior to the deadline.
- The application must be complete at the time of
- No awards will be given retroactively (i.e. after you have
Selection Committee & Criteria
The PDA faculty advisors and the PDA executive officers will
review the applications and select the awardees. The awards
will be for $1,500 ($750 from the Postdoc Association and $750 from
the home department of the recipient).
If all eligibility requirements are satisfied, the following
criteria will be used to decide whether the student will receive a
- Will the presented research represent the College of Veterinary
Medicine & Biomedical Sciences and its students, postdocs, and
- Merit of the research (basic and clinical).
- Quality of the conference or workshop attending.
- Download and complete the Travel Award Application Form
- Include a copy of your abstract or case overview.
- Include evidence of acceptance of your abstract/poster for
presentation at the meeting or conference. ***
- Submit your completed application as single PDF document to CVMPostDoc@cvm.tamu.edu
***If you do not have evidence of an accepted abstract by the
deadline for the CVM Postdoc Travel Award: Submit your application
with evidence of abstract submission and indicate in the comments
section of the application when you expect acceptance notification.
You will be required to submit evidence of acceptance as soon as it
becomes available. If you
are selected to receive an award you will not be given any funds
until we have evidence your abstract was accepted.
It is strongly recommended that you apply as soon as you have
confirmation of abstract acceptance regardless of the deadline
date. Applicants will be informed of award status 7-14 days
following the deadline for application. No awards will be given
retroactively (i.e. after you have traveled)
If You Are Awarded a CVM - PDA Travel Award
- Awards are given for registration, transportation, lodging, and
- Travel arrangements should be made through your departmental
contact to ensure full use of the award and reimbursement of
- It is the awardee's responsibility to notify the travel
arrangement contact for their department of their award.
- VIBS: Hannah Hardy
- VLCS: Lacey Richards
- VSCS: Bridget Sebesta
- VTPB: Irene Alcala
- VTPP: Jessica Smith (Engram)
- A Travel Authorization Request must be submitted and approved
in Concur before you travel. This is done through your
- Remember to keep all your receipts & turn them
in to your departmental contact.
- If you receive additional travel awards (non PDA/GSA) for
travel to the same meeting, those awards will be applied first to
your travel expenses. Your CVM-PDA travel award will be applied to
the remainder of your expenses.
- Working with your departmental contact will ensure that you get
the maximum use of all your travel awards.
Obligation of Accepting a CVM - PDA Travel
- In accepting a PDA Travel Award, you are required
to present your research as a platform or poster presentation at
the Annual CVM Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Association
- Your poster or platform presentation should include an
acknowledgement of the College of Veterinary Medicine &
Biomedical Sciences and the CVM Postdoctoral Association for the
- If you receive additional travel awards (non PDA/GSA) for
travel to the same meeting, these funds must be applied to your
travel expenses prior to utilizing the CVM - PDA travel award
funds. You MUST notify your departmental contact of
the amount you have or will receive.
- You must attend at least 75% of the PDA meetings in the
semester that you apply for the award.
- You participate in at least 1 PDA event (e.g., set up or break
down a vendor show, help at open house, etc…).